Santa Cruz Carnaval 2013


Bus Routes: 470 [Granadilla] to San Isidro, 111 [Santa Cruz]
Return: 111 [Las Americas] to Las Chafiras, taxi to Los Abrigos

Last year I wrote many blogs and took lots of photographs of the carnaval celebrations at Santa Cruz and, by contrast, various other locations on the island. Not wishing to repeat myself I concentrated on taking part in the various events of the main carnaval at Santa Cruz this year (2013) rather than being a spectator. My hosts Jose-Louis and Teresa gave me an incite into the spirit of 'Carnaval' and the various traditions surrounding the events therefore my photos are from the inside looking out rather than documenting the various events.

We started on the Thursday before the first main carnaval procession touring the various shops which have given themselves over to costumes. This is a significant contribution as carnaval itself is the people taking to the streets to celebrate rather than the surrounding hype of carnaval queens and other organised events. The theme this year was Bollywood however I discovered that this forms the theme for the big events, street decorations and the 'collectable' aluminium beer bottles produced by the local brewery 'Dorada', the locals and visitors alike dress as anything the wish. It was pointed out to me that various characters dress up in the same costumes year after year and have become landmarks in themselves becoming part of the tradition. I found that bands and entertainers perform all over the city not just in the main arena at the Plaza Candelaria. I also attended one of the pre-'Burial of the Sardine' parties which are hosted by the same houses each year where people gather to eat, dirnk, chat and appreciate the impromptu musical entertainment before the bell rings ant 20:50 hours and everyone takes to the streets forming their own processions which join up to form the 'Burial of the Sardine' procession which wends its way through the town reaching the harbour hours later. I had lunch at the as the 'Vintage,veteran and classic' car parades ended up there. I sat around with friends drinking coffee and spirits as the last bands played in the Plaza Candelaria and the final firework display took place in the Plaza Espania. An interesting and entertaining two weeks and an amazing insight into the life of Tenerife where I was made to feel welcome by all whom I met.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine

Los Abrigos - my base