Festival of the 'Three Kings', Santa Cruz


Bus Route: 470 [Los Cristianos] to Las Chafiras, 111 [Santa Cruz].
Return: 111 [Los Cristianos, Las Americas] to San Isidro, 470 [Los Cristianos] to Los Abrigos.

Having spent most of the season at Santa Cruz I decided to complete the festivities there with the Festividad de los Reyes Magos (Festival of the Three Kings) to see how it compared with the activities in Los Cristianos last year. The day (and public holiday unless it is a Sunday) of the 6th is when children by tradition in Spain open their presents. The evening before (the 5th) sees the parade of the Three Kings on camels through various towns and villages so that children can give their wish lists to the 'Kings' much as we do with Santa Claus. In Santa Cruz the 'Three Kings' arrive by helicopter at the main football stadium where a show is put on for the benefit of the spectators. I was going to try and get to the stadium but things went slightly awry with my travel plans and I missed that bit. By the way have you ever seen a car pull in to the side of the motorway (only two lanes out here) consult a map then reverse against the oncoming traffic back to the junction he had missed then cut across the exiting traffic to get off himself. No wonder I missed the bus!


I had a look around the Sunday market at the top of the Avenida de Bravo Murillo (incidentally they have now finished the sculpture along there) then I had a chance to take some photos of the Nativity scene in the foyer of the Cabildo (Parliament) building before wandering up to the junction opposite the flower clock at the Parque Garcia Sanabria. This should afford a reasonable view of the parade I hoped.

 As it grew dark a vehicle from the 'Proteccion Civil' lead the parade with the must have giant sound system on the back. This was followed by a dance troupe and the 'posties' of the Correos on motorcycles, scooters and vans giving out sweets to the children. The Bomberos followed and their 'youth division' did some nifty ladder work to deliver presents to children on balconies. The Policia Local, the Santa Cruz Hells Angels and even the Education Authority got in on the act along with the usual array of cartoon characters. Floats then arrived bearing the story of the Nativity with soldiers of the Roman army and dancers from the east following in their wake. At last three giant banners heralded the arrival of the Three kings on their camels accompanied by dancers and maids-in-waiting. Oxen pulled the carts of gifts to be distributed to charities later. A noisy, exciting and magical time for the children and a different theme to that of Los Cristianos.



After the parade had passed and the crowds started to disperse I wandered down the street in search of somewhere to sit and have a drink. Everywhere was packed with families or groups of friends having a social get together or dinner out. It seemed that the whole of Santa Cruz was out enjoying itself. I came across a craft fare under the twinkling lights in the trees of the Plaza Principe Asturias. There were some amazing skills on display and I could have bought loads, particularly the pictures produced on leather of traditional and typical Canarian rural scenes. The fair was going strong at nearly midnight and all of the shops were open. A unique sight as the sales signs went up at midnight even as people were purchasing goods – did they get the sale price or were they too hasty?




I was wandering along the Plaza de España thinking of returning home when a hand tapped me on my shoulder and it was off for drinks with my good friends from Santa Cruz.
Our first stop for drinks was at the Restaurant Tascafiore 23, Plaza San Francisco where I was introduced to Britney Manila on her 'round the world tour' – you can follow her adventures on Facebook. In the centre of the plaza was a tree which gave the children no end of entertainment swinging from its dreadlocks as we sat around the heaters having a drink – funnily the locals were cold!

We finished the evening in a disco bar where Yaisa's boyfriend was DJ. Eventually I had to head off for the 04:00 111 back to San Isidro - I discovered that the Sunday market was starting to close up at around 03:30 hrs – that's what I call stamina! - as I figured that all of the taxies at Las Chafiras would have disappeared or it would cost a fortune in fare so I would wait for the first 470 from Granadilla or so I thought.  I don't know if it was the spirit of the festival or the fact that parents wanted to see their children open their presents but there wasn't a bus to be seen anywhere so at about 07:30 I admitted defeat and got a Taxi home.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine

Los Abrigos - my base