Los Cristianos for Christmas


The 'Bus street station'
There is a 'Titsa' Info cabin  here
Bus Route: 470[Los Cristianos] - the scenic way or 483[Costa Adeje]
Return: 483[El Medano] or 470[Granadilla] - the scenic way.

Hola, familiares y amigos,

Well this is the last one before Christmas as possibly the year so I thought that I would complete the route 470 run west to it terminus in Los Cristianos. I noticed that they were having a day of festivities on Sunday 18th and as Patrick's mum and his friend Lee have come out for Christmas I thought that I would take them along for the day.  I decided that we would catch the slower 470 so that they could view some of the coastline and villages along the route rather than the 483 which goes around Golf del Sur then up along the 'Autopista' (motorway) to Los Cristianos.  We ambled down from the bus station past the 'Cultural Centre' where I noticed that they had a 'New Year' concert coming up and it also contains art and other exhibitions at different times.  We stopped outside at an open 'cafe' for hot chocolate and churrios. These are produced from dough which emerges from the equivalent to a sausage making machine in a long continuous 'sausage' which is looped into a vat of boiling oil similar to making do-nuts. Once cooked the 'sausage' is cut into strips about 15cm long and served as a plate or bagful, more than enough to stuff yourself.  We then walked on down to the bay taking photographs along the way. I then did a panorama of shots around the bay so that you can all see what Los Christianos looks like. The beach is man made with sand imported from the Sahara. There is also a big working harbour with ferries to other islands, fishing boats and yachts. There were various street fairs and parades and the nativity scene in the church square. I managed to get a flavour of things 'cos a lot happened at the same time. We had 'tapas' in one of the street restaurants which was very nice, I had calamari and Spanish omelette, Patrick's mum had clams and prawns which she said were delicious. Lee had a cheese sandwich 'cos he doesn't like foreign food. The idea of tapas was that it consisted of little dishes of 'nibbles' which were either put on the bar free or sold very cheaply so you would 'sample' 3 or 4. Now they cost between 4 and 5 each which makes it quite an expensive snack. After wandering around some more and poking around in the gift shops I put them back on the bus at 6pm as it had been a long day but I stayed to get some shots of the Nativity play and the lights. I managed to catch the last 483 back at about 20.10 hours. I managed to pick up a camera stand for 25 while I was there so I can now experiment with some night shots – the stars out here are amazingly clear.



I am going back to Las Galletas on the 22nd they have marching band and Christmas parade there so it will be interesting to see how they compare. Up in Puerto de la Cruz they were acting out various Christmas stories in the streets around the city on Sunday. I have worked out that I can get there by bus but there are only so many trips I can make in a week so this one will come later. They seem to put a lot of effort into community activities and all ages seem to support them.  There doesn't appear to be the 'red tape' that hampers everything in the UK.
I've just taken some photos from my apartment of the the last sailing schooner like the 'Cutty Sark'. It is sailing round the islands before heading of on a cruise somewhere. Unfortunately my 200m zoom lens can only just get the horizon as you have probably noticed already. I might see if I can enlarge the image before I upload it to the Los Abrigos album. I watched it through my binoculars (good job I bought the camera stand) and it was very majestic with all sails set for part of the journey. I can understand now why young lads used to run away to sea.
Oh yes – bought a couple of tickets for the Christmas lottery drawn (the 'Big Daddy' of draws in Spain) on the 22nd so I may be rich by the time you read this. My 'Christmas Card' to you all is at the end of the slide-show...

Feliz Navidad y un Feliz Año Nuevo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Abrigos - my base

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine