Santa Cruz and a seafood lunch


Bus Routes: 483[Los Cristianos, Las Americas Est] to Golf de Sur, 115[Golf Sur, Santa Cruz] to Santa Cruz bus station. (246[Taganana, Almáciga])


Return: (246[Taganana, Almáciga])111[Los Cristianos, Las Americas Est] to Las Chafiras, 483[El Medano] to Los Abrigos

A friend of mine from England arrived in Golf de Sur at the beginning of the week after emailing to ask if I would provide more details of using the 'guagua'. [The square brackets denote the destination displayed on the front of the bus in my routes.] We met up at his hotel, conveniently the bus stop is just outside the 'Cordial Golf Plaza'. After a coffee and a tour of the facilities we went out to the bus stop so that I could explain how the local timetables work as, this being a one way system, both directions are displayed on the same stop. The times are also shown using the 24 hour clock with the hours along the top row(s) and the minutes underneath. I noticed that the 115 between Las Galletas and Santa Cruz also runs around Golf de Sur so, as I had not used this route, a plan formed in my head. If we started the journey at the hotel and finished at Santa Cruz it would be easy for Kev to find his way back, I had arranged to visit Teresa and Jose Luis (my landlord) so this would tie in nicely.






I could either catch the 483 at 08:41 or the 470 at 09:05 to get me to the hotel in time for us to catch the 09:35 to Santa Cruz. I opted for the 483 in case anything went wrong so, of course, the 115 was about 10 minutes late! We hopped on and Kev used his new Bono ticket for the first time. The 115 pulls off the motorway at the San Isidro and Candelaria roundabouts but misses out the airport so the journey time is about 1 hour the same as the 111. We parted company in the department store opposite the bus station after I had purchased a new UV filter for my camera, typically I had managed to break two in two weeks! I haven't asked Kev yet whether he bought any of the designer gear he went off to browse around.

I had arranged to meet Teresa and Jose Luis at the 'Plaza de España' at 12:00 so decided to stoll down the well trodden route I had taken at the carnival (March blogs). Without the distractions I immediately began to notice the modern architecture which makes up down town Santa Cruz interspersed with the historic. As the south is relatively new it is easy to forget how much history there is in the Canaries in deed once we had met up at the plaza, now transformed into a lake, we visited the preserved ruins of the 'Castillo de San Cristóbal'. These ruins are under the 'Plaza' as, typically the government demolished the castle to build the new 'Cabilo' and imposing plaza. Relevance to us, well this is where Nelson lost his arm! The exhibits give a detailed description to the battle and also the good will shown by the Canarians towards the English sailors. Entrance is free and English translations displayed, the young lady curator also spoke excellent English and took great pride in showing us around. Well worth a visit but easily missed as it is underground.

We then decided to visit a nice little fish restaurant, a favourite of my hosts, just up the coast. I have include the bus route in brackets as we went by car. I did not realise how far we were going a we followed the main road along the coast heading north out of Santa Cruz to the town of San Andés. From the end of this road we took a narrow winding road up and over the mountain (26 degrees to 12!). The views were breathtaking and there is a wide range of native plants growing there. Interestingly one side of the valley can be a lush green the other barren rock possibly depending upon the direction of the sun. We passed through Taganana after a delay for roadworks, apparently it is relatively recently that the road was built before that the village was only reachable by boat, and progressed further along the coast to our secret destination.
The menu from a family run kitchen freshly caught and cooked:

Bread and 'moca' sauce
Canarian potatoes
Octopus
Fresh whole fish and vegetable sauce
Paella
A very fruity red wine
Complementary 'chocolate' desert even though I was 'stuffed'

I don't know what the fish was other than it was fat and succulent and came with some prawns and other shellfish. I hate seeing food left but I just couldn't have managed another mouthful and I must thank Teresa and Jose Luis for this wonderful treat alone never mind the trip out! We finished off with coffee and a Vodka based liqueur and at that point I think we could all have used a siesta. The conversation flowed as Teresa, despite her protestations, speaks very good English and they are both now learning French whilst I still struggle to say “How are you” in Spanish.
Heading back to the car Jose Luis decided that we would return along a different route heading the La Laguna then back to Santa Cruz. We stopped at a couple of viewing points, unfortunately the view disappeared in front of me due to the cloud rolling in but I managed to capture the panorama at the next one. There are a myriad of walks from 1.5 to 21km and more, all clearly signposted and well tended by the foresters. There are also numerous barbecue areas of different sizes to encourage the use of the outdoors. Jose Luis told me that it is customary to have barbecues for family occasions, why cram 30 people or children into a small apartment!



We arrived back in Santa Cruz at about 18:00 hours in time to drop Jose Luis off for his French lesson whilst Teresa ran me back to the bus station before going for her lesson. I had missed Kev for the return trip (or so I thought) so I caught the 19:00 111 back to Las Chafiras which timed it nicely to catch the 20:20 to Los Abrigos. It turned out that Kev caught the last 115 back to his hotel due to a delay in his adventure on the sightseeing 'Red Bus' but it shows how easy it is to get around as long as you remember to make a note of the return times on arrival at your destination before you set off from the bus stand.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Abrigos - my base

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine