Candelaria

Bus Routes: 470 [Granadilla], 111/115 [Santa Cruz].
Return: 120 [Guimar], 111 [Las Americas], 470 [Granadilla]/483 [El Medano] 
In my last blog I said that I would explore the other end of Bus Route 470 to Los Christianos well I changed my mind. I was sitting in the tapas bar in the square on Monday evening, and they connected me to the Wi-Fi, very civilised! I decided to Google a route to Candelaria which is about half way up the island on the east coast. I had read something about the town and been told that was where the statues of the Kings are so decided it would be good to visit early on. It also involved route 470 as far as San Isidro, the town I mentioned on my way to Granadilla de Abona last time, then changing buses as I wanted to find out how difficult it would be changing connections. Google gave me routes and times so I now had a cunning plan! The last time I looked at Google the bus arrived about 45 minutes after the stated time so I was interested to see if I would get back as planned. The timetable book issued by Titsa for all routes on the island gives the start time at each end of the route and a list of stops – you guess the rest. On Tuesday morning I ventured up to the bus stop for the 09:31 bus arriving at the stop at about 09:28 prepared for a wait. I noticed when I got there that 'Titsa', the operating company had put local timetables up for each bus at the stop and the time agreed with Google however the drivers must have been running scared because I waited to 09:50 expecting it to be late then gave up, I think that they were all trying to run early so they didn't get into trouble for being late!!! So off I sauntered to the café across the square for a coffee leche, leche (coffee with double condensed milk in a small glass – very sweet) and a chocolate croissant. I consulted my timetable and the journey would still work as the connection ran every half hour. This passed away the time until the next bus arrived - should have been 10:35 but arrived at 10:30 (I'd rather they were late at least you stand more chance of catching them then.) Off along the now familiar route to San Isidro where I got off the bus at the stop in the main street. Turned out I could have got off at the stop on the roundabout which I walked past and round and over the motorway to the off ramp on the other side to catch the bus for route 111 which was due at 11:10. (I've taken photographs and will also add to each album if I take more when and if I return to places.) The time came for the bus to arrive but it didn't a number 115 arrived instead, as this also dropped off at Candelaria on I got. A very scenic trip up the motorway, sea on one side mountains on the other. Found out that they have invested heavily in wind farms, as oil is brought in by tanker probably just as well. After a few stops an obliging driver announced that the off ramp stop was mine. (I've taken a photo of the motorway sign you need to look out for then press the bell.) Walked up a few yards and round the corner and there it was – Candelaria – which turned out to be a very beautiful town with an active fishing fleet in the harbour, a beautifully clean sea front and and amazing Basilica (I wasn't allowed to take photos inside so you'll have to come and see for yourself). The photos show you why I decided to visit here early on. The island was first populated by the Guanches, who originated from the Berber or Amazighe peoples of North Africa, later conquered by the Spanish in 1496. The Guanches were ruled by nine kings and the island was divided into nine kingdoms with the centre of the island being common land for all to graze their animals. These kingdoms are now the municipal areas much as our counties are today. A carving of the Virgin was found in 1392 and brought it to this part of the island founding the Villa de Candelaria. The Guanches lived in caves and the first temple of the Virgin of Candelaria was the cave of Achbinico, located in the interior of the Chapel of San Blas. Unfortunately the walk has been closed to to erosion but it is hoped to rebuild a route in 2012 – hence, hopefully, more photos. There is a Dominican Monastery to the left of the Basilica of Our Lady of Candelaria and the Fountain of the Pilgrims to the right dominate one side of the Plaza de la Patrona de Canarias (The Virgin Mary, La Candelaria,is the patron saint of the Canary Islands), the statues of the kings the seaward side the cliffs the other and some very nice cafés the other where I had a very nice, very fresh seafood lunch. I then had a wander around before making my way back up to the bus for the return journey. I decided to skip the link bus given by Google, the 120 to Guimar, which would have taken me from the plaza in the first photos round and up to the motorway for my connection back and walk as I had walked down. This is where I decided that busing around the island is good for the hale and hearty but not so good for the disabled or families with prams, pushchairs or even small children. Whilst I caught the No 111 for the return journey on time, was dropped of at Las Chafiras this time so that I could pick up the No 470 back to Los Abrigos – negotiating the crossing over and around the motorway stops is quite daunting (I missed the 470 but caught the 483 20 mins later). It is also very difficult to tell where you are when the bus stops on an on or off ramp in what appears to be nowhere! Each stop has an individual number and Google quote these when showing the route directions so I may contact Titsa to see if they can show the stop numbers on their scrolling display they have in each bus. Oh and the whole trip cost me about £5.00! Hopefully my photo diary will give you a good idea of the bus stops required on these journeys as I go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Abrigos - my base

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine