Los Cristianos - A walk on the wild side

Bus Route: 483[Los Cristianos, P Americas] to Los Cristianos
Return: 470[Granadilla] to Los Abrigos

As I have mentioned in previous blogs I use the calender in the 'Island Connections' free newspaper to find out what is happening around the island. I will add the web address to the useful links so that you can have a look at coming events if you are booking a holiday. It has had a running item of a 'Folk' festival i.e. traditional Canarian, on a Thuirsday in Los Cristianos and Friday in Playa Americas running from Nov till the end of March. As it is nearly the end of March "ALREADY"  I thought I would track this down as no specific location other than 'Paseo Maratimo' in the former (Checking a map I thought that this might be the far end of the beach.) and the 'Centre' in the latter was given.  I thought this might be an afternoon entertainment so hopped on the 11:05 bus into Los Cristianos. 

Getting off the bus I wandered back down Ave Juan Carlos I, despite buying a new street map it is still shown as Ave Cristianos so beware - after Franco's regime ended wholesale street renaming took place all over Tenerife but the maps don't seem to have caught up. Back to my adventure, I followed the avenue down until I saw a sign for 'Paseo Maritimo' and turned right down towards the coast. This brought me out at the far end of the main beach and looked onto a secondary bay so I thought it may be on here to attract visitors to this end of the bay.

I wandered past  a crazy golf course, a 'Boules' court and a 'sandcastle' but could not see or hear any sign of 'Folk' music. I turned around and decided to ask the young lady in the 'Crazy Golf'. It turned out that she was English and had been living there for a year but had not heard  of the event I was after. After a pleasant conversation she suggested trying the bars further along as they were sure to know so off I went heading back towards the main beach. It was just after I left the Crazy Golf that I saw someone taking a photograph of a fountain. I has a look and discovered that it contained a 'bale' of turtles. Having my telephoto lens I managed to get some close ups which I have included in the web albums along with some general shots of the area I was in.

I walked along the main street discovering that it bears the same name all the way along, stopping for lunch no-one knew of the event.  I thought that I would give it one last try and retraced my steps stopping for a rest to watch the Boules competition which seemed to have developed since earlier. I became fascinated by the tactics involved and spent a pleasant hour in the company of one of the English players who described the intricacies of the game to me.
Giving up on the folk music I wandered back to the main beach, it was about 17.00 by then and stopped for a cool drink in a bar opposite the beach volley ball, I think that I shall follow this with interest if the Olympics are shown here! I discovered from the waiter that the 'Folk' music was in the bar further down near the harbour on a Thursday evening at 20.30 hours. I shall try to get there next week. Before I left I bought some 'Paprika' goats cheese, some natural honey and some fresh baked bread from a small 'farmers' market which had been set up in front of the beach. A very tasty supper!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine

Los Abrigos - my base