407 to Las Galletas



Bus Route: 470[Los Cristianos]
Return: 470[Granadilla]





Ola Amigos,

Well here we are 6 weeks into my stay and the sea is as fascinating as ever as I type this there is a blue haze on the horizon and the sun is glinting off the waves and absolutely nothing in sight. I should be a novelist typing in front of my open window – perfect for inspiration. The temperatures have cooled slightly and there is often a chilly breeze of an evening on this part of the island. I am told that this is not experienced further up the coast at Los Christianos and Play America which is probably why they built them there. The Christmas lights were switched on at the beginning of December and I have updated the 'Los Abrigos' album. As I mentioned we had two public holidays last week the Tuesday and the Thursday. On the Tuesday I went along to the beach this side of El Medano with some friends. I didn't take the camera as this is a family/topless/nudist beach all rolled into one and no-one seems to be bothered. We walked back along the coast to Los Abrigos and I wish that I had had the camera with me as there were some stunning views and interesting shots to be taken. I intend to re-create this walk with the camera so that you can see some of the interesting things there. The beach itself is miles long of natural sand and there is a big protest going on at the moment as the local government in Granadilla want to turn it into a commercial harbour, they already pipe oil from tankers at night to supply the airport from large pontoons out in the bay and it is feared that the whole area will be destroyed by the development and by pollution. (I later discovered that it may be the expansion of a refinery just up the coast into a port which will affect this beach)
Over the weekend the weather turned very strange and, apparently, is a feature of the area. A cloud bank develops which doesn't look like a cloud at all. It appears to stretch from the horizon right across the sky so that the light from the sun in reflected inside it but there does not appear to be a horizon at all. It reminded me of the film 'The Truman Show' where he sets sail and bumps into the edge of the set – it looks as if you can reach out and touch the edge of the world. An artist could probably portray this but a photograph will not.
I am now getting the news on my 'Kindle'. I noticed the other day that they now sell individual copies of the newspapers as opposed to taking out a subscription so I can download the Sunday Times for 99p and the Daily Mail for 78p. They cost over 2-3 to buy out here which can work out very expensive. As it takes a few days to read the Sunday Times and the Money Mail on Wednesday tops up the news all is looking good on the 'Kindle' front. My next project is to scan some maps and load them as pdf files and see if that works. It is rapidly becoming an old style 'Filofax' as well as my library. I even put one of my talking books and a mp3 track onto it the other day.
I thought for my photo album this week that I would complete the Route 470 west to Los Christianos so that you would finally see the big resort but it was not to be. I got on the 470 at Los Abrigos only to be told that he was only going as far as Costa del Silencio for some reason so I thought why not you can see the bit in the middle. The 470 goes up the road towards Las Chafiras then does a funny squiggle – they seem to stick roundabouts and junctions in any fashion to get them where they want to be - to branch off to and round 'Golf del Sur' before continuing on to Las Chafiras then back down to the coast through Costa del Silencio and Las Galletas, which I think is the original fishing village. If I'm right nothing remains. It then goes back up towards the motorway, through a town which seems to have no purpose whatsoever other than being built to house the influx of workers for the construction and holiday trades, then on to Los Christianos never actually touching the motorway. The 480 on the other hand misses all this out, it only stops at Los Abrigos and Los Chafiras and uses the motorway.
At the first stop on the 'Golf del Sur' complex the front seat became vacant and I formulated a plan – front seat photography again. You can see a glimpse of the complex, Las Chafiras and on to our new destination as I doubt that I will take a camera around these areas or even visit them much. 'Golf del Sur' has masses of apartments, little villas with no space between them and grand hotels. There are restaurants and pubs of all persuasion, gift shops and everything required to live a self contained lifestyle. A lot of the hotels are now 'all inclusive' which is wrecking the local economies especially in the recession as some of my photos show. A round of golf will cost about 100E all told and membership costs a fortune!
When we arrived at Costa del Silencio I had a wander around as you can see before making my way down to Las Galletas (pronounced Gayetas but they, generally aslo drop the 's' on the end of a word too. My overall impression was one of over development, as new complexes such as 'Golf del Sur' and 'San Blas' are built people either migrate or there is insufficient demand. Costa del Silencio and the much publicised Ten-Bel shopping centre all had a slightly run down feel about them and could do with a bit of tlc to bring back their former glory, highly unlikely in the current state of the economy. Let buyer beware I think is appropriate here as the glossy magazine may not deliver future expectations. In contrast, when I walked into Las Galletas there were some beautiful streets and avenues, rows of places to eat and a beautiful marina and beach. I suppose it depends on how long you are there for. A couple of weeks holiday in the sun is markedly different that a retirement home in the sun. All in all I had a pleasant wander around, a nice chicken sandwich and bottle of 'Dorada', some different views of the ever present mountains and returned home tired but satisfied with my day out. Las Christianos will have to wait another day.

All the best
soon be Christmas... I hear it is cold out there!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Abrigos - my base

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine