A walk to Los Olivos from Adeje

Bus Routes: 470[Los Cristianos] to Los Cristianos, 417[Guía de Isora] to Adeje.
Return: 416[Los Cristianos] to Los Cristianos, 470[Granadilla] to Los Abrigos.

I took this shot on my
 first visit to Adeje.
I decided to pop over to Adeje this afternoon for lunch (3pm ish) and to see if I could get inside the church. On Good Friday the right hand nave as you face the altar had a large blue curtain across it and I was curious to see what was behind. Mission successful, I managed to take some additional photographs too particularly of the right had nave entrance which had a carved screen and balcony with organ instead of the usual entrance porch. (I have added them to the 'Adeje' Photo Album.)

I decided to have a wander down the street down from the fort which I had viewed but not followed on my original visit in January just to see where it lead to. Wandering down I came across some street sculpture and a rather nice amphitheatre and sports ground which looked pretty new. Checking the map when I got back the area appears to be called Los Olivos which corresponds with the bus timetable but is not shown as such on Google maps. What surprised me was the appearance of the church at the bottom of the street at the T-junction, I had taken a photograph of this when I was marking the route to Los Gigantes (March) but hand't placed where I was.


Looking around the building I found that it was open. As this I had managed to photograph the interior of the churches in Adeje and La Laguna I decided to compare ancient and modern. Constructed from concrete and abstract stained glass windows the new paintings still portray the life of Christ just as of old with either paintings and wood carvings. The icons are similar to those found in older churches but in keeping with the modern setting, this must be an ongoing craft. The stained glass windows reflected off the sheer concrete walls in the afternoon sunlight giving a light and airy but peaceful feel to the building not stark or oppressive at all. Definitely a building fit for purpose. The exterior plaza also contained a modern 'stage', a common feature of most towns and villages where church and social life intertwine.

The bus stop is on the road next to the amphitheatre and I returned there to await the arrival of the 417 back to Los Cristianos due to arrive in about 15 minutes. I glanced up from my Kindle and saw a number 416 to Los Cristianos approaching so hopped on that one. Expecting to return much the same way I wasn't taking much notice of the route when I looked up and wondered where I was? Just after this we drove through La Calleta and I realised that I was heading back along the coast road through the Costa Adeje and Las Americas. We have made the journey before in the opposite direction when travelling to La Calleta for the fiesta at San Sebastian (January). As the evenings are now in daylight the whole journey home took on a new, pleasant appeal.


Both naves in the church at Adeje

The screen and balcony in the church at Adeje
A stained glass window from the church at Los Olivos


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine

Los Abrigos - my base