Los Gigantes - Burial of the Sardine


Bus Routes: 483[Los Cristianos,P Americas Est], 473[Los Gigantes].
Return: 477[P Americas Est, Los Cristianos] to Los Cristianos, 483[El Medano] to Los Abrigos.

Due to my confusion as to the destination the day before I decided to set off a little earlier and take some photographs of the route, this time from the back seat of the bus which is even higher. Hopefully these will help to reduce the panic as you make the journey as there are some spectacular views along the way and more destinations for me to visit later. On arrival at a very pretty 'bus station' in Los Gigantes I had lunch in

 the 'Tipsy Terrace' which I found was just next to the bus station. From there I took a photograph of the development up the mountain before heading off down into the village for a look around. Los Gigantes has its own micro-climate and turned out to be very warm and sunny and a very pretty place too. The 'Burial of the Sardine' procession was due to commence at 21:00 with the wake starting in the Plaza Buganvilla in front of the church at 17:00. I had decided that this was to be a late night either catching the 23:30 473, the last bus, or partying on and catching the 06:20 477 to Los Cristianos so I brought a jacket. It was as I reached the harbour and was about to try and find the beach that I realised that I had dropped my jacket and had to retrace my steps back to the bus station with no luck. I followed my route back down to the harbour on the off chance and there was my jacket on a windowsill contents intact. I pushed on exhausted towards the harbour looking for a place where I could find a cool drink. I would like to thank the young lady in the Ocean Drive Cafe and Bar who brought me cool pineapple juice and a bowl of peanuts to revive my liquid and salt intake. I promise I will return for a meal one day.

Revived I made my way back to the 'wake', the spectators and some of the 'widows' had gathered, the band - 'Old Dogs New Tricks' were warming up but no Sardine! Regardless the band pressed on with an impressive range of tunes and managed to get the audience up and dancing, no mean feat when it is broad daylight and everyone is more or less sober. After a few finishing touches the Sardine arrived and took pride of place. I was even more impressed with the band who played for a solid 4 hours (no breaks) before disappearing to their next gig well done Bob and Jill and Graham (drummer) (www.olddogs-newtricks.com). At the duly appointed time the Sardine, a labour of love on the part of the village, was loaded and transported to the roundabout at the top of the hill for the procession down to the harbour. Whist Santa Crus had a massive Sardine on the back of a truck this one is hand carried all the way, firstly by the village dignitaries in mourning and then by the 'widows' and it struggles all the way. This results in a herculean task for the 'pall-bearers' with frequent refreshment stops on the way. The procession comes down the hill, back to the plaza and then on down towards the harbour where, in time honoured fashion, it goes up in flames before the firework display starts.

Everyone then retreats back to the square where the festivities continue with a 'Sardine and spud' feast for everyone and paella for the 'widows'.  The stalls also sell as much as you can eat or drink too! A 'Cuban' style band has taken over and everyone joins in as the party continues until the wee small hours. I had decided to stay! At this point I would also like to thank the staff working behind and in front of the bar owned by the 'Juan Carlos' Restarante - they looked after my jacket and camera case throughout the evening and kept me supplied with falling down juice as required.  I found the whole two days in Los Gigantes a very rewarding experience meeting lots of very friendly hospitable people. A must if you can it has good bus connections with Los Cristianos and you don't have to miss the last one home if you don't want to!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Abrigos - my base

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine