Garachico and Caleta San Andres Festival

Bus Route: 470[Los Cristianos], 111[Playa Americas], 460[Icod] and 363[Buenavista].
Return: 363[Icod], 111[Playa Americas], 483[El Medano].



Hola everyone,
Although my intention was to visit the other end of Route 470 my plans changed as a result of a kindness from two friends of mine, Patrick and Michelle. In an idle conversion I mentioned that I was undecided as to buying a radio to try and get the news from the BBC – it is surprising how quickly one loosed touch with the outside world events – a couple of days later they lent me an am/fm radio to try out. I took it to the apartment and scrolled through the FM bands to find a broadcast in English, finding only one I dug out the free English newspaper, Island Connections, and went from cover to cover to see if I could find ads for radio stations. Just behind the TV section I came across a listing I had missed – upcoming events for the fortnight ahead – this changed my idea for the trip – still heading west but further afield. Midnight on the 29th the procession of San Andres and firework display at Garachico followed the day after by local dancing and music at 12 noon. Now Garachico is somewhere up on the north-west coast of the island an area I had decided to explore when I was more proficient with the bus service but this was to good an opportunity to miss! Off to the internet cafe to 'Google' the route – I am starting to get quite proficient with my planning now. I fed in a reasonable start time as this was going to be a long day and got three possible routes – the first one started with the 470 going west so this met my objective – we''ll get to the other end of the route yet! The route involved catching the 470 up to Las Chafiras – then down to the motorway stop for the No 111 to the bus station at Playa Americas/Costa Adeje where the route terminates. (This is the bus I got back from Candelaria last time so I have now visited both ends of that route). It turns out that Playa Americas/Costa Adeje is a modern airy station complete with cafe and Titsa information office so there was time for a coffee and cake before boarding the 460 to Icod. This turned out to be a fantastic journey up into the mountains before dropping down the other side to the north-west coast. There are only one or two 'mirador' (stopping places for the view and a photo) on the route and the road is quite narrow with lots of sharp bends preventing a driver just pulling over. I have decided that, being on my own, this is the right way to travel as I would definitely not be able to admire the view. I have read a guide book recently written by an English resident of some 20 years or more who complains about the rule breaking on the buses, passengers talking to the driver etc – he would have had a fit if he had been on this bus as, in the middle of a small village the oncoming 460 and our driver stopped to have a conversation, tough luck on the queues of traffic building up behind! Frequently the bus pulls up sharply and generally the opposing car retreats – though on the return journey one didn't and got a mouthful from the driver long after he couldn't hear him. I have found all of the drivers so far helpful and patient considering the number of languages they have to cope with. After a while I managed to get the front seat and took some pictures of varying quality to try and give an impression bearing in mind that this bus isn't slowing down for anyone. After amazing views we reach Icod another proper bus station complete with artistry – see the photos – a cafe and a shop. My journey now goes a bit awry, according to Google my connection the 363 to Buenvista should leave in 10 mins however no bus is listed on the arrivals board and I am confused by the local time table so off I trot to the information desk. He writes down :30 and :45 on a piece of paper and 3 different bus number.. So just over half an hour wait so off to the cafe. I am nearly finished my buritto when I see a 363 arriving so I dash over to the counter – La Querte por favor and off out to the stand only to find that the 363 has pulled into a stand on the opposite side and is destined for Puerto Cruz; the opposite direction. All is not lost as there is a 'diddy' bus No 388 in my stand . It must be nearly :30, the driver returns and people surge to get on until two of us are left and there is no more room. Hum! Anyway at least it isn't a cold and windy bus station in the UK! At 15:00 a 363 pulls in, no indication on the departures board and departs somewhere just after 5 past. Should have waited when I arrived and I would have been in Garachico an hour earlier - they now seem to run at 5 past not 10 to.
On my arrival in Garachico I spot the Tourist Information Office just along from the bus stop. I call in there to find out about the events and about accommodation. When planning the route I worked out that I could see the procession, watch the fireworks at midnight and dance the night away before catching the first bus back then next day at about 03:30 hours, or, I could find some cheep digs and stay the night to see the traditional stuff the following day. My plan collapsed here. The procession is at the next village along the coast, El or Los Caleta. I can walk or get the next 363 then follow the road down to the coast. There is no cheap accommodation; Garachico is quite famous and is also full of Germans so much so that the TI girl is apologetic at her (excellent) standard of English because she is now so used to speaking German. Cheapest hotel 140E, no here is one for 120E but no breakfast. She does some more internet searching and phoning and comes up with a room for 50E including breakfast. Bang goes my budget for December! I also have to break with buses and get a taxi as the address is Hotel Rural Casa Amarilla - Km 7 explain that to the bus driver. They will send someone so can I be there in about 30 minutes. I wander back down the road taking a few photos of the old harbour and the Castle of San Miguel (didn't know it at the time). These are now tasters for a future trip purely to see Garachico. I ask how much, it is on the meter, about 5E - the taxi takes me around the headland and turns right at a cluster of houses down the the mountain along a route of very high walls to arrive at a big metal gate. The driver gets out and speaks into the intercom, the gate opens and we go down a long, long drive surrounded by bananas. We are on a massive estate/plantation. He swings left into a courtyard and there we are at the plantation house now a hotel. I am in one of the outbuildings probably used by slaves if they had them. He leaves me with the proprietor. He speaks Spanish, I speak English so we have a very interesting conversation. The photos are as I recorded them so some are on arrival and some the following day before I left. I was well pleased that I had decided to stay. After trying to explain what the 6 keys and the electronic fob were for he went off and produced a map. Keys for room, keys for gates and keys for house. It turned out that he owned the plantation which came down from the mountain to the coast and also owned part of the village. To get there you go out of the back gate – 5 minutes walk – very nice restaurant. I've included a photo part of this walk. I dumped my stuff had a quick wash and set off as it was now after 6, I was hungry and it gets dark around 7 very little dusk. I'd packed my windy up torch just in case – just as well 'cos I couldn't find the light switch in the bathroom! Off I set, turned left where the taxi pulled in and down to an identical gate. 1 key and 1 fob later I has escaped. Ahead of me were two vertical walls and a large double gate at the end with a 'No Entry' sighn. I turned left although I was sure from the map that the village should be to my right. 10 minutes later past more plantations the coast seemed to be getting further away so I turned round and retraced, perhaps I should have gone out of the same gate as the taxi came in. When I got back to the 'exit' gate I decided to follow the road down to the other big gate and see if one of my keys fitted. As I got there I realised that the road bent 90 degree right and there was the village dimly seen at the end. I'd hate to drive around here. I had a wander around the not so little village, took some photos and asked a policeman where the church was. I eventually found it along side the village square. By now it was dark and things were being set up for the festival. I couldn't retrace my steps so went into a bar just off the square and asked if they were doing food. They don't speak much English in this part of the Island. He led me to the back of the bar and there were half a dozen tables in an area down some steps from the bar. I had a beer and a well prepared chicken with salad and apple pie 'Canarian' style for desert. He couldn't have been more hospitable inviting me to return at about 11pm when he was closing the bar as he and his family were watching the fireworks from his balcony about four floors up and it would be a good spot to take photos. Unfortunately I couldn't make it as I was down at the bay reserving my slot for the arrival of the procession. I took some photos round the church and of the start of the procession. I haven't used flash as I felt that this was intrusive. I then went down to the bay to claim a space. I could tell the progress by the fireworks which are let off as they stop at each district? Nor sure how they organised this. Eventually the Madonna and the Santa Andres arrive at the beach. All the lights go out and the fireworks start, from the headlands, the bay, the beach and even under the sea this display lasted for about an hour – it was amazing and not a policeman or crowd control in sight – just lots of people and families enjoying themselves. I debated how many photos to include or whether to separate them into different albums but decided against it – you see it as I see it. The fireworks end to massive applause and the lights come back on the statues are returned to the church and the band comes onto the stage and everyone dances the night away. I had an interesting time finding my way back to the Hotel at about 3 am!
I set my alarm for 9 as breakfast finished at 10, as it happens a few stray fireworks, a cockerel and someone with a washing machine meant that I was awake a lot earlier but trying to doze. I made breakfast – 2 eggs senior? There was hot, cold, fruits you name it I could have had it for breakfast then gone off to do a full days toil on the plantation. I had one of the bananas in the hope it had just come off the tree. Took some photos of the interior of the house handed in my keys and off back down to the village. A clear sky and blazingly hot for Nov 30th. It turned out that they do the whole thing again at noon minus the big firework display. I admire their stamina. This time I followed or skipped ahead of the procession to get some photos. There was loud applause at various stopping points as district tried to outdo each other with their displays. The fireworks from each district are white as they were the night before so you only see the puffs in the photo. I was boiling in just a tee-shirt so how those in the band survived I don't know. As the procession returned towards the square I skipped round the coastal path to see if they went down to the sea but they return straight to the church. As I approached my vantage point from last night a girl approached me to take a photo of her and her friends, she retreated giggling when she realised I was English (Foreign) I had got the jist and thought they wanted a photo on the mobile phone one of them was holding but no she pointed to my camera. I took the photo and got the email address of one of the boys so that they can get a copy. A polite friendly bunch and a credit to the village and Tenerife in general. By now it was after 2 and my leg was killing me, I had discovered that the singing and dancing would not start till much later in the afternoon so I made my way back up the hillside to the main road. Calculating my way backwards on the timetable there should be a bus about 10 to 3 and it was now 2:30. Whilst waiting at the bus stop (a motorcycle marks the spot) I checked the timetable for connections and worked out that an hour break back in Garachio rather than a longer wait in the bus station at Icod was preferable. I was boiling when I got off the bus so the ice-cream parlour looked inviting. I looked at my map from the TIO and saw that the main square was just around the corner so wondered off up there. It will definitely be another excursion but I was just too tired and did not have enough time before catching the 363 back to Icod and thence home retracing the route I had come though this time I could catch the 783 from Las Americas to home – this is a sort of express service which goes along the motorway and down missing out a lot of the villages and resorts of the 470. It was too dark to take photos on the return journey but memorable non the less. The sight of a football match on a full size, flood lit, astro-turf pitch levelled out of the side of a mountain was something to behold.
Footnote: I'm adding more photos over the weekend to complete this album – broadband ain't fast out here and there are 250 odd images.

Beunos Noches...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine

Los Abrigos - my base