Death and Taxes - The N.I.E. in Tenerife

Statue on roundabout


Estacion
MagMa Convention Centre


They say there are only two certainties in life - death and taxes so I thought that I would include a little adventure I had yesterday and hope it may help. I had read in an 'advert-info' type of article in the English speaking free press that I was supposed to fill in a tax return even though I wasn't earning anything here in Tenerife. I made some enquires and discovered that this was not required but, if one is resident on the island for more that 184 days a Nūmero de Identidad de Extranjero (N.I.E) is required. David from Los Abrigos Properties supplied the form for me and advised that queuing is required!  They helped me complete the form - passport number, full name, town of birth, county of birth, parents Christian names. Was I an economic, professional or social visitor and the description of why I was here (touring).



I decided to take the 08.41 483 bus to Las Americas (for some reason Costa Adeje resulted in "we don't go there"?) to give me plenty of time. I got off the bus at the stop just past the statue on the roundabout. If you miss the stop or are coming from the opposite direction the 'Estacion' will be your destination. If you are walking up from Las Americas aim for the roundabout at the top of Av del Quinto Centenario. There is currently a car park to the right of the MagMa centre and the Canarian Police Station is just behind the roundabout.

Getting off the bus or making your way on foot there is a row of shops opposite said car park. Proceed there and, about half way along is a place where you can get the required 2 photographs (currently €6.00 for 4). Don't think you can get away with your extra passport photographs, these are slightly smaller - it all boosts the local economy.  Armed with my form, a photocopy of the form, a photocopy of my passport (they do photocopying as well if required), my passport and the photos I re-crossed the road and went along to the Canarian (not Polica Local) Police Station. The office is currently open between 09.00 and 14:00 hours. Enter and turn to your right through the large doorway and join the queue on the right next to the waiting area. Moving forward the 'officer' examines the forms and gives you another one to take to the bank to pay the fee.

Re-cross the road, walk past the shops with them on the left and turn left down the hill on the Av del Quinto Centenario. At the bottom of the hill there is a 'Santander' on your left. Unfortunately they do not process the fee until you have an N.I.E. number though he did help me fill in the form. Leaving the bank,turning right and crossing over the Av del Quinto Centenario there are two banks about 3-4 minutes walk up the road. These will accept your €9.20 fee and stamp your form accordingly.  It was 25+ and I was parched as I walked back up the hill. I decided against a refreshing drink as advised there could be a long wait, I had noticed the sign that there were "No public toilets due to security reasons" in the Police Station.

Arriving back at the 'officers' desk he again checked the forms and gave me a slip of paper with 'A45' and the date printed on it. The time was 10.35 and the number on desk A was 30. Fortunately they provide chairs. Kindle to the rescue as I read the paper.  At 11.30 my number came up. I moved forward to the desk and sat down. The 'officer' copied the details from my passport onto his computer but still kept the photocopy. He completed and stamped the A4 paper N.I.E. which is valid for three months. He gave it to me along with my passport and photographs which were not required.  I would seem that they used to issue a plastic ID but have stopped. I may need them next time because I am renewing or they have changed their minds again!  Once you have your document carry a photocopy as they will not replace the original. Allow plenty of time as they may be busier than when I was there, especially if you arrive later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Abrigos - my base

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine