Burial of the Sardine - Santa Cruz Carnival 2012

Bus Route: 470[Granadilla] to San Isidro, 111[Santa Cruz]
Return: 111[Aeropuerto Sur, P Americas Est] to Las Chafiras then taxi home.



Ash Wednesday, 22 February 2012, Santa Cruz Carnival 21:00 Burial of the Sardine which, in theory, should be when carnival ends however the festivities carry on until the end of the week. Indeed Los Cristianos and Los Gigantes do not hold their respective carnivals until March. General Franco's Spain banned these carnivals as they were based on pagan festivals (as was most of the Christian calendar) but the carnivals in Santa Cruz and Puerto de la Cruz continued, they just changed the name. As I had a route for the parade this time I knew where I was going so I took a little time out to wander along the Aida de Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera and have a look at the fair which was much bigger than I had first thought. I also saw my first trams which I must try out on a future visit.



I stopped for dinner at an open air cafe on the Plaza de Espana as the lights started to come on before wandering through the festival atmosphere to take up a position on the corner of the main road, Mendez Nunez to await the arrival of the procession. Once again the police bikes were out in force this time followed by a hearse displaying the 'sardine' in open coffin followed by the many 'widows' and members of the 'clergy' and anyone elso who decides to take part. No-one seems to know why but a great deal of 'Carnival' is spent with the men dressed in 'drag' and there are completions for the best. Similarly no-one could tell me why they 'bury' a sardine but who cares anyway this is Tenerife and it is Carnival was the stock reply.

The procession again proceeds very slowly down towards the harbour stopping at frequent intervals for the members of the procession to perform. Eventually this rather large 'Sardine' appeared on the back of a truck, this is the one to be sacrificed. Once the parade had past me I wandered back down through the streets of revellers, again of all ages, to be entertained by random troupes of singers and bands as I walked. The sound stage in the plaza is being prep'd to entertain through the night once again. I arrived back down a the harbour to await the procession. The dignitaries and sponsors are sitting on a raised gantry but, as the procession did not reach this point until nearly 01:00 on th 23rd I think I had the better deal. The little sardine in it's hearse was on display whilst the big sardine was taken to a place of safety at the end of the road and set alight. As the bonfire raged the firework display started and the groups started playing on the various sound stages. Once again, a good time was had by all.

For some reason this is not counted as a main carnival day by Titsa so I had the choice of the scheduled 02:15 or the 04:00 bus home. I will leave you to guess which one I chose.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Abrigos - my base

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine