Arona - Romaría San Antonio Abad

Bus Routes: 483 [Los Cristianos, Las Americas] to Los Cristianos, 480 [Arona].
Return: 480 [Los Cristianos], 483 [El Medano] to Los Abrigos

After touring a wide variety of Romerías and Fiestas last year I debated with myself whether or not to continue recording them this year. The front page of the first issue of 'Island Connections' contained a full page spread about the first fiestas of the year and Arona was first on the list for the San Antonio Abad celebrations. If you look at last year's events I went to La Caleta later in the month, however, as I had never explored Arona, I thought I would have a trip there to record the first event of the year. It is an easy journey to make the buses run regularly from Los Cristianos and it is only a 20-30 minute journey. I was really pleased that I went as the procession is more a family affair as the town is not that big and it is easy to see as the plaza in the centre forms the focal point for the celebrations. There was a large craft fair, lots of stalls with food and drink and the stage set for an afternoon of live musical entertainment. There were also some half dozen carts in the procession interspersed by musicians and dancers in traditional dress.



The streets are decorated with simple but effective discs summarising the local produce and traditional emblems of the Romería. Again balconies were decorated. The central area of the town is prohibited to traffic making wandering amongst the procession very easy. Everyone was very friendly and encouraged participation in the dancing and revelry in the main plaza.


It was here that I was asked to take some photographs by a visiting Italian gentleman as he danced with one of the local Senoras. Gave me his email address to send them to him as he could not understand that he could download them from my album accessed through the blog, nor could he understand that I didn't want any money for them so he bought me a beer!


View my 'Arona' Photo Album  (ver album de photos)

If you are in Tenerife when this fiesta is taking place it is well worth a visit especially if you have children or are getting on in years. It is compact, easy going and sums up the spirit of the occasion.

Full marks to Arona. I shall have to return to this area to explore the town and the surrounding area at a later date so may make a day of it on the 17th where at 18:30 there is a Solemn Mass and Procession accompanied by the music of the School of Music and Dance in Arona. The event ends in a massive firework display. I may also go over to the Romería de San Sebastian at La Enramada beach, La Caleta, Costa Adeje on the 20th and sit on the hill to photographs the horses going into the sea as I could not get close enough last time.

On my return to Los Cristianos I popped over to the café at the Auditorio Infanta Leonor to purchase a ticket for the 'Concerto de Piano a dos y cuatro manos' on the evening of the 24th. I am also going to try and get a ticket for the 'Cirque du Soleil' from Montreal, Canada who are performing this week in La Laguna. More culture this year I think!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine

Burial of the Sardine - Santa Cruz Carnival 2012

The New Los Abrigos Fish Market - a long time comming!