The Cave of Saint Hermano Pedro

Bus Route: 470[Granadilla] or 483[El Medano]
Return: 470[Los Cristianos] or 483[Los Cristianos, P Americas Est]

Cueva del Santo Hno Pedro
It was a sunny but windy day in Los Abrigos so I thought that I would have an afternoon at 'La Tajita' beach. I hopped onto the 470 which, generally, runs that way on the 'half hour' and got of at the required stop. Walking along the path I could sea that the sand was blowing and it didn't feel comfortable enough to stay. Rather than waste the journey I decided to go off and hunt for a cave I had found out about when trying to find more information about the origins of El Medano.  The article said that it was somewhere towards the end of the runway opposite Monana Roja and one of the 'secrets' of the area. Can't be that far I thought. Unfortunately the headwind made it feel twice as far as it was and, foolishly, I didn't have any water with me. Although January and windy it is still hot!



I walked across the scrub in the direction of the road and towards the 'rock'. Hitting the road I crossed over and turned right. After a short while I saw the sign for the 'Cave of Saint Hermano Pedro' and, after a diversion across the road to look at the sign for the National Park then take a couple of photographs of the wind surfers, I set off up the road. Interestingly the ground is pretty level all the way to the foothills of the mountains and I could see the outbuildings for the airport infrastructure in the distance. I could also see a grove of palm trees lining the route before reaching the runway and marking a road to the left of mine so, I thought, that must be the cave. Wrong, when I got there it was a bit like the 'American' ranch - an arched gate in the middle of no-where - except that this was denoting a banana plantation. I was about to give up but thought that I would proceed to the next bend then turn back.
There in a dip in the road I could see the start of the 'sanctuary'. As you can see from the photographs it is almost at the head of the barranco and, very nearly, over run by the end of the runway. It was a cool haven of peace and tranquillity and worth the yomp. You could drive if you want to a car park is provided just up the road but you will appreciate it more if you walk. He had to. I will return at some point to take a photograph of his statue in the cave, it is open on a morning if you visit.

St Peter de Betancourt became the first Canarian Saint - there is a text in one of the photos which you can zoom in on to read his history.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine

Los Abrigos - my base