Santa Cruz – Nob Hill Tour

Bus Routes: 470[Granadilla] to San Isidro, 111[Santa Cruz] 
Return: 111[Los Cristianos, P Americas] to Las Chafiras, 483[El Medano] to Los Abrigos

As Jose Lois and Teresa are departing on holiday this week I decided to have a trip up to Santa Cruz to deliver a collection of photos as there were many of the party not included in the 'album' and to have a look around the Museum 'Naturaleza y el Hombre' (Natural history and Human Culture). Once again I took the now well trodden path turning left out of the bus station. I noticed that the sign for the 'Plaza de la Presidencia' was now 'Plaza General Gutiérrez Mellado' which made me look more closely at the route I was taking as described in my previous blogs. I crossed over the Avada De Bravo Murillo (I couldn't see a name plaque anywhere) which now contains tram and road in two separate tracks at the main junction shown in the photographs.

This brings you to the start of the Calle Dr. Cerviva Cabera which is basically the length of the buildings containing the Ancient Hospital and Museum of Natural History and Culture. I walked along and round the corner to the main entrance to the Museum taking in the bridge across the Barranco de Santos (always shown as rivers on the maps but there isn't any water) and the Iglesia de la Conception on the other side. 

Instead of walking back to my familiar route to the Plaza de Espana I decided to cross the bridge. This gave me a view of the front of the church this time and also of the traditional street architecture of the area of the 'old' town. Walking past the front of the church we are back at the street 'Dominguez Alfonso' where the Romeria took place (see blog). The decorations were coming down but I wandered up the street to take a photograph of the front of the 'Nifu-Nifa', the bar where the carnival memorabilia is should you wish to have a look for yourself. I then went back down towards the church and turned left to follow the streets, coming across some interesting finds, back across to Calle Bethancout Alfonso. I had intended a quick visit but was invited in, a review of the photographs commenced followed by lunch. Canarians are very hospitable people. I also discovered that Jose Lois taught photo journalism for some time as well as being an active journalist. We adjourned to the street cafe outside their door to enjoy a coffee and a chat in the sun. Teresa then offered to show me her favourite 'English' chapel and homes at the top of the hill (a gradual incline actually). As in many English towns and cities the 60s and 70s resulted in the decimation of the local architecture. The area around the Plaza de Candelaria and Dominguez Alfonso were very run down and have now been largely restored to their traditional Canarian buildings whilst our destination at the top of the hill and surrounding area shows the remaining homes of the 'gentry'. Many of the buildings are now schools or offices as in England really but they have been beautifully preserved and reflect the prosperity of the island over the centuries.

My photographs start at the top of the hill at the Rambala de Santa Cruz renamed from 'del General Franco' on the maps. It is virtually a straight gentle 10 minute walk from the Calle Bethancout Alfonso. At the monument I turned right first and walked along to the next junction taking in the sculptures, Henry Moor among them, from the exhibition which took place in the 1970s.

I then retraced my steps and went as far as the next junction before retracing my route back down the Calle de Viera y Calvijo, through the Plaza Venticino de Julio to Calle Bethencourt Alphonso. The plaza is in the 'Mudejar' style containing some unusual glazed tile seating and a pleasant fountain. 




Plaza de los Patos and Plaza 25 de Julio also seem to be names for this area according to some guide books but I will check this out as I believe that there is another plaza near. The English Anglican church is a reminder of the rich trade which went on between the island and England over the years. It is now a catholic place of meditation as it does not have a priest. Moving down the road we pass the 'Banco de Espana and, on the opposite side of the street the 'Ayuntamiento' or Town Hall. We arrive back at the Plaza El Chicharro at the top of Calle Bethanourt Alfonso, the indigenous 'dragon' tree here is about 50 years old but you can pause for a refreshing drink or meal under its shade.

I didn't make it to the museum and also discovered the Parque Garcia Senabria and the existence of some other plazas and historic buildings in this area I guess more visits to Santa Cruz to come. I have added the photographs to the main Santa Cruz album and replaced the 'updates' contents should you wish to run the slideshow or view the photos in isolation.

or




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Abrigos - my base

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine