El Medano and surrounding area


Bus Routes: 470[Granadilla], 483[El Medano].
Return: 470[Los Cristianos], 483[Los Cristianos, P Americas Est].



Hola,

Well the festivities are over, the lights switched off but not yet down which I always think gives a rather forlorn look about the place, at least the sun is shining here! I was creating a calendar on my computer on Sunday (8th) and generally pondering where to take you all for my next adventure whilst recovering from the festivities I wasn't feeling too energetic so I didn't come to any particular conclusion. Off round to the shop for an envelope but he had no stamps, try the post office on Monday. So as not to waste the journey I stopped off for a coffee and a chicken and avocado arepas (corn pancake) in the shade on the way back. Such a hard life! Now around here the shops normally open at 10 and close at 2, opening again at 4 or 5 til 8 or 9pm. I bimbled up to the other end of the village to find the post office – all bright yellow here including vans and post boxes – to find that she would not serve me. They are open from 8.30 til 11.00. Ah ha – looking up the street I am near the second bus stop in the village (it only takes 2 minutes to walk between the two) – a cunning plan is formed. If I come up earlier to post my letter I can then walk up and catch the bus at 10:30 and visit El Medano this is the terminus for the 483 and the last place we have not visited on the route of the 470.



Being a bright sunny place and the weather being miserable in the UK I thought I would cheer you all up, after I got there I decided to include a visit to La Tejita beach on the way back. Las Galletas (west of Los Abrigos) and El Medano (east) are about the same size but remarkably different in style as you will see. I must admit that I rather like the place it has interesting buildings and feels more laid back than Los Cristianos, Blackpool v Bournemouth I suppose. I new from the trip through that there was a stop opposite the shopping centre before reaching the harbour and got off there as I wanted to yomp back up the hill to take a photo of the boat. As I neared my destination I realised that there was another bus stop near there, again unmarked on my side of the road. On my way up I took a photo of the escarpment, they have actually levelled off the floor of the valley, canyon however you would describe them, and created an astro-turf football ground. I'll try to get a shot sometime, it looks surreal from the road above. While I was up at the boat I thought to myself that I would hop off at La Tejita beach on the way back and try to get some shots there without upsetting the 'natives'!

I wandered back down the hill, had a look around the shopping centre area before carrying on down to the bay. I was reminded of the Monastery just outside Gloucester, they raised funds from their pottery and I bet that the shopping centre, situated between the church and the Monastery, provides a rental income for them here. Leaving the centre I decided to walk down one of the side streets to see what I could find rather than heading in a straight line down to the harbour and came across the town square next to the beach. From the location I'll bet that it has been there since El Medano was a little fishing village. As you can see from the photos I found the buildings interesting, not the usual square blocks in block formation, it makes the place more homely. The beach is beautiful and the cafes relaxing. If you ever get the chance visit the Hotel Medano, it is the height of luxury and the terrace goes out over the sea. If you want more excitement the waves crash up against the cafe wall in that shot in the harbour. Luckilly the curve of the rock send the spray back and not over those sitting enjoying their 'cervesa'.The harbour still operates but has been done up nicely with lots of street sculpture about the place. Following the path around to the next bay a much wilder scenario presents itself. I thought an ideal place for my niece and nephew, she would like the sandcastles whilst the wilder side is ideal for anything from cowboys and indians to star wars. The photo of the terrace with the wooden shutters overlooks this bay.
It is surprising how quickly things develop. I hoped back on the 470 in the direction of Los Abrigos to visit La Tejita beach, when I had passed through before the bus just seemed to pull up anywhere but there are now proper stops on either side of the road. Montana Roja dominates the skyline both from El Medano and from here but this is a beautiful unspoiled beach and scrub land. I hope that the local government will heed the protests and not develop it. The photos speak for themselves.
In contrast I took some photos yesterday (Wed) of the sea storming into the bay at Los Abrigos it was the roughest I have ever seen it so there must have been some storm out at sea. I will add these with some photos of the far end of the village to the 'Los Abrigos' album sometime shortly.
In the mean time hope you've all finished the turkey by now....
All the best
Arthur

View my El Medano and Le Tejita beach photo album




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Abrigos - my base

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine