Romaria at Santa Cruz

Bus Routes: 482[Los Cristianos, Playa America] to Golf del Sur, 115[Santa Cruz]
Return: 111[Los Cristianos, P America Est] to Las Chafiras, 843[El  Medano] to Los Abrigos.


Well who is that in the photograph?
Last week Jose Lois and Teresa invited me to Santa Cruz for the Romeria on Sunday 13th May. The fiesta had run for several days, the stage in the Plaza Candelaria was back this time decked out with bread and sheaves of wheat. The costumed event also takes place on an evening/night but this year Santa Cruz was having the event on a Sunday during the day too. I have added some more photographs to the 'Santa Cruz' photo album of my journey and of the event itself. There is also a photograph of the bus stop in Golf del Sur which I use to catch the 09:35 115 to Santa Cruz. This one is handy because the hotel caffe opens at 09:00 affording a cup of coffee before the journey. All thanks to my friend Kev staying there. So I have worked out that all of my routes will work whether you are staying in the popular resorts of Las Americas/Los Cristianos area, Silencio, Golf del Sur, even El Medano.

There is always a new discovery to photograph even on the multiple return visits to Santa Cruz. As the bus travelled along the final stretch of the Autopista Sur into Santa Cruz I thought that the petroleum refinery was on fire until I got a clear view of the chimney burning off gas. The smoke could be seen for miles.  Arriving at the bus station I headed for the Plaza de Espania and found, this time that the road was closed for a massive street market which also resembled a car boot sale. For some reason, when I reached the Plaza the monument at the entrance to the Plaza de Candilaria stood out in the sunshine. The Plaza itself is once more dominated with the sound stage bedecked with wheat, bread and wine barrels for the fiesta this time. It would seem that there are not many weeks in the year where there isn't a fiesta going on for 3 or 4 days somewhere in Tenerife. The 'Romeria' this Sunday is a new departure for the city as it is normally held during the evening/night.

I was meeting my friends at their apartment on the C/Bethencourt Alfonso. During a pause for Sangria and nibbles I asked if I could take some photos from their penthouse window? Having done so Jose topped that by taking me up to the roof, and I mean roof, to take some shots over the city - you saw them here fist folks! Jose also showed me some of his awesome photographs taken whilst working as a journalist in many conflicts in Africa and the Middle East. His friends arrived, an architect involved in the development of the south of Tenerife, and his daughter broke from studying for her finals to become a pharmacist at the University in La Laguna. Dressing for the part we went of to the old centre of Santa Cruz which, I am told, has been revitalised over the last ten years. We saw the typical events then went into a bar for drinks and tapas which turned out to be the heart of Carnival in Santa Cruz. The memorabilia around the walls depict the history of the carnival here.



Returning through the side streets to their apartment for more typical Canarian 'fare' before my return to Las Abrigos I had a thoroughly enjoyable day as a 'Canarian'.


The photographs are included in the 'Santa Cruz' photo album and I have also added some photos to the Los Abrigos album of a 'hermitage of crabs' which appeared on the rocks below my window the other morning. I thought that the 'red' one was going to either fight or mate with the other one towards the end of the sequence but both backed off. There are also some of divers out in the bay, everything happens here right in front of me!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Abrigos - my base

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine