The 'Shtandart' visits San Miguel marina

Buses: the 470 or 483 to the Medical Centre, Golf del Sur. 10 minute walk down to the Marina. Catch the same buses back to Los Abrigos or Los Cristianos from any of the stops around Golf del Sur.


I had seen a fully rigged sailing ship in the distance and had also observed what looked like the top of a mast with flag flying above all of the other structures in San Miguel marina from my apartment window. Perusing one of the free papers over a coffee in the cafe one morning I came across and article about the visit of the 'Shtandart' so I decided to go and have a look.

It was a pleasant day so I walked down to the marina from the bus stop by the Medical Centre as I thought that this would give and interesting view of the marina as I approached. Stopping for coffee and scrambled egg on toast, haven't had that for ages, at a little pool-side cafe on the way down fortified me for the rest of my visit. I walked around the marina shore opposite the frigate to get some long distance views of the whole frigate before walking back around to approach the vessel from the front. This shore has been landscaped since I last visited and afforded an easy walk. The marina itself is as busy as ever with a wide variety of boats moored and grounded for maintenance. Tracie Emin and her unmade bed pale into insignificance against the natural backdrop of the detritus strewn around a boatyard.



The 'Shtandart' was a frigate commissioned by Peter the Great, Tzar of Russia as part of his fleet to defend the Baltic Sea. It had a crew of 40 when it put to sea in 1703. The ship you see in the photographs was built as a training vessel some ten years ago from the original plans and documents pertaining to the construction, fitting and equipping. The carvings and paintwork have been carefully recreated and the rigging is authentic. The only changes are those additions required by current seafaring regulations. If I remember correctly it now has a permanent crew of five.


The vessel shows how uncomfortable the conditions were for sailors at the time. Even the Captain's aft cabin would have the partition between his sleeping and living quarters removed when the frigate when into action. Climbing into the rigging to change sail at the height of a storm takes some bottle or, as was often the case, and even greater fear of the cat-o-nine-tails! I hope you enjoy the tour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Abrigos - my base

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine