Entierro de la Sardina 2014


March 5th 2014 ...

... the Burial of the Sardine, my last day at Carnaval, Santa Cruz this year.  Once again what an amazing time I have had.  Despite the recession and late payment of grants TITSA still manages to provide an excellent service though the number of extra late night buses was greatly reduced.  I caught the 111 from San Isidro mid afternoon so that I could have a stroll around Plazas before a bite to eat and finding a suitable place to watch the procession due to start around 22:00 hours. Of course it is always late, who cares, the weather is fine, people are good hearted and having a good time.


View my full 'Entierro de la Sardina 2014' photo album

I was dressed in my cartoon 'Woody' costume for the last time rather than attempting a widow or vicar, they put so much effort into it I cannot compete!  I was included in the celebration and treated as a local so make the effort to take part if you visit this event, you will enjoy yourself so much more (and be offered more to drink!).



After watching the 'mournful' procession pass me I wandered down to the harbour to watch the demise of the Sardine and the firework display before visiting Plaza Cadelaria for a late snack, baked potato with all the trimmings, and to listen to the bands then heading off to the bus station and another late night trip home.  I am always amazed at the size of the crowds at these events as they go on so late but there is never any trouble so you feel quite safe.



My Tenerifebybus blog is coming to an end. I hope that this record and the associated photographic diary will continue to be informative and of use to visitors.  I have checked out some of the routes in my previous posts with visiting friends and they are all still valid so if you are visiting Tenerife make the most of what the Island has to offer.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Abrigos - my base

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine