Los Abrigos Carnival Gala 2012

Bus Routes: 470 & 483 to Los Abrigos if you don't live here.

Just as I thought carnival was over I was walking through the square this afternoon when I saw speakers and microphone stands being erected. I asked around but no-one knew anything about it. Later the square was filled up with chairs so I thought this must be something big.

At around 18.00 there were signs of activity with people in costume and eventually a parade commenced from the harbour up to the square. Once there a performance started on the stage with the main attraction being the 'Murga' Los Retorciditos. I managed to find out, and I hope I got this right, that they represent Grandilla de Abona which Los Abrigos belongs to and probably have some people in the group.  They won their section in the competition at Santa Cruz Carnival 2012 no mean feat!

Their enthusiasm and skill gave a rousing performance and I have tried to capture some of that in my photographs. Once again children and young people take part and behave very professionally. It reminds me of the 'Jazz' bands we used to have in the North East of England as they involve everyone in the production and give a unique opportunity to express themselves and support each other. Their parents should be duly proud of them.

View my 'Los Abrigos Carnival Gala' Photo Album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Abrigos - my base

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine