Los Abrigos - my base

Bus Routes: 470[Los Christianos] [Granadilla] and 483[Costa Adeje] [El Medano].

Having arrived and settled in to my apartment it was time to explore the village I had adopted for the next 12 months. First of all I took some photos from the windows as, true to their word, I couldn't get much closer to the sea. The taxi from the airport had dropped me at the top of the village square and I had walked down to meet David from Los Abrigos Properties (he has since sold the business) who had arranged to meet me at noon as I had picked one of the many 'public holidays' to arrive on. We then walked along the street 'Playa Grande' to my apartment block. It seemed like a good idea to continue to the end of the street and have a look at the beach, which I must admit, takes some getting used to black sand. I also wandered around the opposite headland before, feeling very hungry, I went in search of somewhere to eat. I had passed 'Las Olas' so it seemed a good idea to have a look in there an attempt to ask the young lady with long dark hair if I could get something to eat as my Spanish ran to "Uno cervesa por favor" rather than food. It turned out that I needn't have worried, Michelle comes from Kent and Patrick the owner and chef comes from Norfolk. After an excellent meal of Adeje Chicken and Canarian potatoes (small potatoes, heavily salted and boiled until they become wrinkly) I headed back up to the square and explored the heart of the village. As look would have it a bus was arriving just as I took the photograph of the roundabout or 'Rotunda' as they are known here (a recent addition to the roads in Tenerife I am lead to understand) and the main street through Los Abrigos. Incidentally Abrigos means 'coat' so on some maps it is referred to as 'El Abrigo', I presume that the harbour formed a 'coat' for the fishermen returning from sea. The photographs in this section have been added to over the weeks as I have explored the boundaries of the village and events through Christmas and the New Year have taken place. As this is my 'base' it will be a hoch-poch of views depicting the village, events, the sea and the surrounding mountains. It never ceases to amaze me how much the sea and the views alter throughout the day with changes in sunlight and the weather in general. I hope that it will captivate you as much.
I then discovered that there are 2 bus routes through Los Abrigos, the 417 which dawdles along the coast and the 483 which is faster as it makes less stops. The 417 starts and ends in Granadilla de Abona and Los Cristianos respectively and the 483 starts and ends in El Medano and Las Americas (Costa Adeje) and goes down the 'Autopista' (motorway) missing out some of the intermediate villages serviced by the 417. My first venture was into Los Cristianos without the camera to collect a timetable and form 'a cunning plan....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine