Puerto de La Cruz Old Car Rally – Carnival 2012

Bus Routes: 843[Los Cristianos, P Americas Est] to Los Cristianos, 343[Puerto Cruz sin parada (no stops)].
Return: 343[Aeropuerto Norte, Aeropuerto Sur, Los Cristianos], 470[Granadilla] or 483[El Medano] to Los Abrigos.





Whilst the concerts and parties continue in Santa Cruz I thought that we would have a change of pace today and visit Carnival at Puerto de La Cruz for the 'old car' rally held on the Avenida Colõn at 13:00. I am told that not only is it a parade of vintage cars but that the owners and families also wear period dress. I haven't been to Puerto before so I checked the Titsa timetable to see if it was possible then over to the internet cafe and Google gave me the route timings. I caught the 483 at 08:51 as advised but it must have had a fast run arriving in Los Cristianos in time to catch the 343 'direct' at 09:10 instead of the 09:45 which stops at both airports. The down side was that this is the most expensive trip so far at over 9€. The journey follow the now well travelled Autopista Sur route to Santa Cruz but became interesting as the road splits and head up around the City. There is an excellent view of the city and the harbour with the opera house at the end when I can catch it on camera. Travelling on towards Puerto the landscape changes significantly an I am looking forward to visiting the extreme north of the island sometime in the future.



Once in Puerto de La Cruz even the 'direct' bus seems to drop off at any stop requested but I continued on to find the 'Estacion' which turned out to be a street just as in Los Cristianos. The big difference here is that there are no wide boulevards, it is all narrow streets and walks just like home. There is a line of cafe/bars along the street with the Titsa office at the end, as the street was in the shade I wandered down towards the sunshine to have brunch. I crossed over the parallel street below to find that I had walked past the 'Estacion de Guaguas' now in ruin and has been for about five years. I stopped for an 'English' breakfast 3.50€ including coffee, I was pleasantly surprised to find that eating out is very reasonably priced here overall. Looking at my map I decided to follow the main road along to the bay where the procession was to take place. After stopping off to check out some gleaming spires which led me to purchase a new 55-300 Nikon lens for my camera, bang go the savings, I arrived at the bay 'Playa Martiãnez with a beautiful deep blue sea. I followed the Avenida, which is mostly pedestrianised, past the 'Largo' wot we would call a 'Lido' and which you had to pay to get in, to the Plaza Reyes Catolicos with its little church. I figured that the parade would be due to start shortly so wandered back to the corner to see if I could get some photographs. The usual police bikes arrived followed by a few vintage cars. Disappointed I was about to walk away when another stream came around the corner to catch up. Whilst some of the cars were brought to Puerto on a trailer I had seen some struggling up the Autopista Nort so the inevitable breakdown was likely. All in all it was a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon and a pleasant change from the normal carnival atmosphere. There is also a rally at the end of the carnival in Santa Cruz but I don't know if they dress the part.

I stopped at a cafe/bar for a beer and sandwich in the sun then migrated back along to the bay. I took some photographs of the surfers, some more successful than others and some people on kites who just seemed to be suspended in mid-air. I don't know whether they launched from the mountain but they were high. I had thought about getting the bus to Santa Cruz for the 20:00 parade and party there but decided to return to base. Catching the normal 343 afforded my first visit to the northern airport and I was surprised to fin how small it is in comparison with only one bus stop. We arrived back in Los Cristianos in time to miss the last 470 shown on the timetable however the digital display said there was one due in 10 minuets which arrived as promised so it pays to be flexible. Incidentally I could have waited for the 843 at 22:10 as there was a string quartet playing outside the cafe/bar at the Municipal Cultural Centre at the bottom of the street but I had other travels tomorrow.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine

Los Abrigos - my base