Mt Teide for Christmas


Bus Route – 342. The bus runs from La Caleta (09:00) through Costa Adeje bus station (09:15) and Los Christianos (09:30) to the Parador hotel (return 16:00), the Teleférico (return 15:40) and El Portillo (return 15:15). The Bono ticket is not valid on this route.

Having failed to visit Mt Teide during my stay I decided to book two nights at the Parador Hotel, about as near to the top as you can get other than the refuge up near the top of the Teleférico (cable car), in the hope that I may also see some snow and, therefore, take some contrasting photographs.




The hotel itself is very comfortable having been refurbished in 2010, it also has a pool should you wish to take the plunge ho-ho! Guests can book in from 14:00 hrs but the reception staff were quite willing to store my case as I was early, indeed the same applied on booking out which has to be completed by 12:00 hrs on the day of departure. I even found my case waiting for me in my room as soon as it was ready. The receptionists along with all of the other staff were welcoming, helpful and informative and succeed in making my stay a very pleasant one. Later I was to find that the Teleférico did not run on the 25th, the walk would take 1-1.5 hrs and, as the last return from the top was 16:00 hrs I would not have time to make it to the top. A 'phone call by the receptionist resulted in the hotel manager taking me in his car to the base station after I had a coffee on the terrace which has panoramic view of Teide!




I didn't have a permit to walk right to the summit (3,718 metres/12,195 feet – the highest peak in Spain), I have now discovered that these can be obtained on-line, but I would not have has sufficient time in any case. I had worn thick socks and boots, long trousers, pullover and jacket but I came to regret not having any gloves. I was at a height of 3,555 metres/11,660 feet and my fingers were freezing as I took my photographs. All I can say is that you have to see it, I do not have the words to describe the views, the textures and the sheer drama of the spectacle before me as I walked around the area of the top platform. I apologise in advance if you are bored by the photographs, I have weeded several but it is difficult to decide what to include as the days progressed. The angle of the view, the position of the sun and the time of day all have an effect on the landscape. There is much more to see up in the park, it is well signposted with information boards explaining the structures and formations as well as the trails through the park. I saw the area around the hotel and the Teleférico but there is much more to see and different volcanic structures to discover. The air is thinner and crisp without being too cold most of the time and I was amazed at how quiet is was. The night sky is so clear, apparently if there had not been a full moon the milky way is quite visible. It is 25€ for a round trip on the Teleférico, if you have a 'Residencia' it is half price but you also need your passport!. You can stay up as long as you like as long as you catch the last car down at 16:00 hrs. They take your photograph and, for 5€, you can have a 'certificado de visita al volcán Teide' on departure from the base station.



Back at the hotel we had a special dinner 'Nochebuena 2012', it is customary in Spain to have a large special meal for the whole family on Christmas Eve, December 24th, followed by a trip to midnight mass. Although there is a church outside the hotel it only holds Sunday services so we went out and admired the night sky before retreating to bed. Incidentally we had everything on the menu including wines.

Christmas Day is a Public Holiday along with New Year's Day and the only two days that the Teleférico does not run. As I have mentioned last year traditionally children get their presents on 5th January at the Festival of the Three Kings, though Papa Noel is now intruding on Christmas Day. I started my day with breakfast, a wide range of English and Continental and excellent hot coffee before having a wander around and taking some photographs down the hill where I had noticed some different colours on the rocks as we journeyed here. There are large tracts of copper coloured rock caused by hydration, there are notices up respectfully requesting visitors not to take a small pebble as a souvenir as these areas have been considerably eroded over time and there are future generations to consider – a world wide problem these days! After some exploring I returned to the hotel for lunch, roast suckling pig – recommended by the head waiter – and a beer. I explored another trail during the afternoon before returning to relax on the terrace with coffee and cake. They also have free WiFi so I could update my Christmas messages. Dinner consisted of a well appointed fixed and a la carte menu selections and choice of wines before retiring to the lounge for a drink and conversation with a chap from Germany before retiring, fairly early to bed.




I woke at about 07:30 hours on Boxing Day morning to an amazing pink and blue sky so decided to quickly pack then go out and explore the area opposite the hotel before having a late breakfast and checking out. I missed photographs of both a hare and, later, a rabbit as they disappeared into the foliage and rocks which was disappointing. All in all an excellent way to spend Christmas and met some interesting people too.


View my 'Mt Teide Xmas' Photo Album  (ver album de photos)



As a footnote I must also thank Jose-Lois and Theresa my landlords. I believed that I was having lunch with them at their apartment on Sunday 23rd. It turned out that we went to a bar/restaurant and had an amazing five course meal of various fish dishes and a traditional toast of a drink which was set a light, reminding me of the plum pudding and the toast by the chef which reminded me of the Hogmanay toast to the haggis. This was amazing enough but they then took me to the Club Nautica of which they are members for drinks, sweet snacks, synchronised swimming display with a Christmas theme and then a group of about thirty singers and musicians entertaining with traditional Spanish Christmas carols and songs. An excellent Egon Ronay standard meal followed by an entertaining evening in an exclusive club. An amazing start to my Christmas and reflecting the good nature and hospitality of the Canarian people. Feliz Navidad y Neuvo Año!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine

Los Abrigos - my base