Festival of the Cross

Bus Routes: 470[Granadilla] to El Medano and Granadilla, 416[Playa Americas] to San Miguel
Return: 416[Granadilla], 470[Los Cristianos] to San Isidro and Los Abrigos

Feast of the Cross, El Medano, 2012
On the 3rd May each year many towns and villages in Tenerife decorate the cross outside the church, if they have one, with flowers otherwise crosses are made up and decorated and placed in front of the building. I noticed this when I went into El Medano the following day which prompted me to do a little travelling to see if I could find some more. I looked on the calendar to see if this related to a religious event then resorted to an internet search which gave me plenty on cross dressing! Eventually I found this item under 'Feast of the Cross in Wikipedia:

In the Gallican usage, beginning about the seventh century, the Feast of the Cross was celebrated on May 3, and called "Crouchmas" (for "Cross Mass") or "Roodmas". When the Gallican and Roman practices were combined, the September date was assigned to commemorating the rescue of the Cross from the Sassanid Persians,
and the May date was kept as the Finding of the Holy Cross or
Invention of the True Cross to commemorate the finding. (In this
context "invention" (from Latin invenire, "to find") does not have the


modern sense of creating something new.) Pope John XXIII removed this duplication in 1960, so that the Roman Calendar now celebrates the Holy Cross only on September 14.

This is a permanent wooden cross
May 3 is the date given in the Church of England's Book of Common Prayer liturgy, but the new Common Worship liturgy, following the Roman Catholic Church's lead, celebrates Holy Cross Day on September 14.

I thought to myself that I would catch the 417 up to Grandilla and have a look there. On arrival the 416 was due to leave so I hopped on (no extra charge due to my Bono ticket) as I knew there was a large church in San Miguel. Unfortunately all I got there was lunch, it being about 15:00 hours and a couple of new shots of the church tower but I couldn't find a cross.


My lunch in San Miguel - a 'half metre' Sausage!


The church tower in San Miguel

I waited for the return 416 to Grandilla to explore there.  I knew roughly where the church was in Grandailla having passed it on the way out to Guimar but I had not visited this part of town so another first, on my way I passed the Convent in the centre which displayed:

Feast of the Cross, The Convent, Granadilla

The church of San Antonio de Padus, Granadilla

The Cross outside the church
I now had time to get back to the bus station to catch the 19:30 back to Los Abrigos but as the bus slowed due to a traffic jam in central San Isidro I spied:

The Hermatage, San Isidro
...so, calculating that I could catch the last 470 due to leave Grandilla at 20:30 hours I hopped off to take some photos and have a look at the thriving market held on a Friday evening. So there we are 4 examples of the art of dressing the cross for the 'Feast'  I have included the photographs in various relevant albums and also placed them all in once folder as there are some of the Church and of the market if you follow the links:


I took a couple of photographs from my window the other night which I am adding here, the mid horizon now twinkles at night with the fishing boats spread out perusing thier catch, I believe the lights attract the fish but it looks quite magical - they are in the 'Los Abrigos' album:

Night fishing off Los Abrigos
Nearest my zoom could get mounted on a tripod!

Till the next time...










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Abrigos - my base

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine