Vilaflor - highest village in Spain


Bus Routes: 470[Granadilla], 474[Vilaflor, La Escelona].

Return: 482[Los Cristanos], 470[Granadilla] home.



I thought that we would have a change of pace between the 'North' and 'South' Carnival seasons so I decided to take at trip to Vilaflor, the highest village in Spain at 1,400 metres (4593 feet 27⁄64 inches). I am told that is higher than any mountain in the UK!  It is difficult to imagine that you are only about 30 minutes away from the beach in Los Cristianos when you see the photos:



I thought that this would be a small village so left it until mid-day to set off which meant that I had to wait for the 14:15 'diddy' bus as there are only 4 a day. I had a very nice coffee and warm ham and omelette stick for only 3.50€ at a bar just outside the bus station whilst waiting for the bus so lunch was taken care of.  The driver arrived and we set off, I managed to get the front seat as there were only two passengers. This gave a very dramatic ride as we wound our way up the mountain after stopping at the local school for passengers. On this occasion there weren't any.  The scenery is fantastic and well worth the ride at a cost of 1.10€ (about 90p). I tried to capture the flavour of the ride both on the ascent and decent as it happens we came back a different route using the 482 to Los Cristianos because I mis-read the timetable. I could have returned via the 474 at 19:30 but that would have missed the 470 back to Las Abrigos - probably 15-20€ for a taxi.

Arriving at Vilaflor the driver asked me if I wanted the bottom, middle or top of the village? I hadn't realised that it was so big so I opted for the top as it is easier to walk down. I was pleased that I did, I took a photograph showing the cloud line over the sea, normally seen from below. I would also have missed the historic watering hole of the village - full description on one of the photos - it now has a small bottling plant providing drinking water throughout the island, you wouldn't think so it is very well hidden. The whole area, including the communal washing area, the forest and mountains and the buildings reminded me of where my sister lives in the French Pyrenees and it struck me how you can sample the world here in the island of Tenerife.

I walked down through the village where a very helpful young lady explained that there were not two churches but that one was a Convent dedicated to the Saint  Hermano Pedro  (see El Medano blog and album about his cave). I managed to take photos of the interior of both buildings and they are very impressive.  She also explained that the old building on the other side of the square was origionally the home of the 'Marquise' who in the 16th Century was the 'feudal' landlord until he demanded too much and they killed him. The house is privately owned and locked but contains much original architecture and furniture. It would make an excellent museum if money could be found.  I wandered down past the refurbishments they are doing outside the church and had tea at the cafe at the bottom where I noticed that, sitting in bright sunshine, the moon had come out. It was now time to make my way to the 'middle' bus stop at the petrol station taking some more shots on the way. The fact, as I have previously mentioned, that Canarian houses open onto the road led to the path disappearing down some steps and up again as the road was now higher than the houses! I was also intrigued by the built in irrigation system under the paths to keep the streets in bloom. Vilaflor is definitely worth another visit, although the Tourist Information Office has closed due to cuts I discovered that there are a lot more things to see here and in the surrounding area. Incidentally I am perpetually reminded that there are lots of wonderful walking trails in Tenerife, well there are also plenty of wonderful 'walking' guide books.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this all started...

Los Abrigos - my base

Los Cristianos - Burial of the Sardine